- Significant benefit to society in terms of education, large scale environmental awareness, and increased knowledge of the importance of our ocean.
- Valid information on the scope and status of the North Pacific Gyre to help focus education efforts and research to address marine debris at sea.
- Education on environmental and health issues that result from the research conducted by Project Kaisei.
- Awareness building about restoring the health of marine life and fisheries.
- Possible new solutions for the debris problem: test treatment technologies and processes, possible clean-up strategies within the gyre, improved land-based recycling programs, improved legislation (land/sea).
- Increased awareness of individual responsibility – the products which we consume and how we handle those wastes.
- Increased participation from the private sector and civil society in expanded environmental projects and community campaigns, spurred on and inspired by Project Kaisei.
Awards and Recognition